- Railsbridge Rails Outreach Workshop for Women & Friends, Ed. EspaÃ±ol July 22-23 (San Francisco):
One of the objectives of the Rails Bridge Open Workshops is diversity, with that in mind we… [aim] to bring more Spanish speakers into the Rails Community.
- There’s a grant open (registration and travel) for women attending PyCon AU (Sydney, August). It’s open for applications until July 8.
- Speaking of the Python community, PyLadies needs your help getting women to DjangoCon. Audrey Roy is asking for donations.
- First analysis of Google+ for journalists at risk by Danny O’Brien of the Committee to Protect Journalists.
- Nightsky at Geekachicas questions the refusal to call pagent winner Alyssa Campanella a geek:
Geeky women have always faced this double standard–that a guy geek is a geek on his say-so, but women have to prove their geek bona fides to skeptical guy geeks, see also Annalee’s comment on our last linkspam.
- Entrepreneurs Should Say No to Silicon Valley’s Bully:
This wasn’t just [Michael] Arrington getting even: it was a warning to any others in the Valley not to mess with TechCrunch. If you don’t give Mike dibs on writing about your company’s latest milestone, you too risk having your personal reputation publicly smeared on TechCrunch…
- A satire of exoticism-by-footnote.
You can suggest links for future linkspams in comments here, or by using the “geekfeminism” tag on delicious, freelish.us or pinboard.in or the “#geekfeminism” tag on Twitter. Please note that we tend to stick to publishing recent links (from the last month or so).
Thanks to everyone who suggested links.
Sandra Magnus is flying on the last NASA space shuttle launch tomorrow– how about a quick hit about her? And about being sad about the space shuttle. :-(